Today we’re gonna get f-a-n-c-y with Salmon Florentine!
When I looked up the actual meaning of a ‘florentine’ it was described as “…served or prepared on a bed of spinach…” I guess that would technically make this an upside down florentine since the spinach is actually on top. A duvet of sorts. But salmon duvet just doesn’t sound so nice does it? Settled, Salmon Florentine it is.
I love this recipe mostly because it’s delicious but for soooo many other reasons. First, it’s pretty darn impressive. When you put down a whole side of salmon done up this way, jaws will drop. Our little secret though? It’s incredibly easy to make. The great thing about salmon is that it doesn’t take very long to prepare or cook. There is usually zero (or little) trim work required and it’s a quick bake in the oven.
Now let’s talk about that duvet…er…florentine. There are so many textures and flavors going on in this it’s unbelievable. Every time I make this meal I’m wowed by how good it is. The smoothness of the cream cheese does an amazing job of pulling all the ingredients together from the shallots and garlic to the red pepper and sun-dried tomatoes. The spinach adds a lovely colour, not to mention an extra dose of your daily greens.
The only trick is to put down a nice, even coating of the cream cheese mixture over the salmon. You want to be sure you’ve covered all the sides and ends to seal the fish and lock in all that moisture. The result will be a delicious and tender piece of salmon. I seriously want to sneak into the fridge can grab another piece.
I’ve actually contemplated just making the topping on its own as a dip
for my finger. Yes, it’s that good. Oh come on…like you’ve never done that in the kitchen when no one is around. It’s ok, we’re all friends here!
One bite (assuming you like salmon/seafood) and you’ll be amazed. Did I mention the best part? This Salmon Florentine is GOOD FOR YOU! It’s low-carb, gluten-free, high in protein and if you use reduced-fat or light cream cheese, it’s pretty low-cal too! Yay for recipes that make us feel good, taste good and are good for us!
enjoy | liz | xo
- 1 pkg (283g) frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 (1/4 cup) shallots, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 brick (8oz) cream cheese (reduced fat, light or regular)
- 1 (2-1/2-3 lb) whole salmon side, with skin and pin bones removed, rinsed and patted dry
- salt & pepper
- Heat oven to 375F.
- Season salmon with salt and pepper and lay on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large skilled, heat oil over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic until soft. Add red pepper, sun-dried tomato and red chili flakes. When the peppers have softened, add spinach and continue to cook and stir until combined.
- Reduce heat to low and add cream cheese, stirring until cheese has melted and combined with vegetable mixture.
- Pack spinach mixture on top of salmon side, covering sides and ends.
- Place in oven and bake until cooked through, 20-25 minutes. Serve immediately.
Want more? Subscribe to Teta Lizza’s Kitchen to get new recipes delivered straight to your inbox! And keep in touch on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for more updates.