Happy New Year! A brand new year is upon us and if you’re like me, you’re bursting with excitement and anticipation of what’s to come. 2016 was definitely a year that will never, ever, ever, EVER be forgotten. While I can stand here mostly calm and cool and say I survived, I learned and I grew as a person from all the experiences, I’ll be honest that a fresh year is exactly what I needed to fully turn that page. Isn’t there just something about a new year that is so inspiring?
Since a bad day never started with champagne, let’s start a whole new year with some! While these cupcakes are a perfect little treat for a NYE party – sometimes any ol’ day of the week can be a special occasion and a reason for some bubbly. A birthday, an anniversary, Valentine’s Day or even a random Wednesday, find a reason to celebrate everything and anything!
The “cake” part of these cupcakes are light, fluffy (thanks to the egg whites) and have the perfect amount of sweetness. The raspberry buttercream is seriously amazing though. It’s sweet and tangy thanks to the real fruit inside! I just love how the fresh raspberries add natural flavor and colour. While not as smooth as a classic buttercream, I rather like the more “rustic” finish that is a result of all those tiny raspberry seeds.
So CHEERS to 2017! I hope the new year is full of hope and promise for each and every one of you. I resolve to “be better” – to myself first, so that I can be better for everyone else in my life. Your thoughts create your reality so make sure they are fabulous! And on those days when life disappoints, champagne doesn’t 😉
Want allll the cupcakes? Check out my recipe for Chocolate Cupcakes with Strawberry Buttercream, or these crowd-pleasing Banana Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting, or one from the archives, these Oreo Overload Cupcakes!
enjoy | liz | xo
- 2-3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups white sugar
- 3/4 cup champagne or sparkling wine
- 6 egg whites
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups powdered (icing) sugar
- 1 cup raspberries, rinsed and dried
- 2 tsp champagne or sparkling wine
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 20-22 raspberries for garnish (if desired)
- Preheat oven to 350°F degrees. Line two 12-cup cupcake pans with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Reduce mixer speed to lowest setting and alternately add the flour mixture and champagne. Blend until mixed through. Let rest.
- In another large clean bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold one third of the whites into the batter to lighten it, then fold in the remaining egg whites until a smooth batter forms.
- Evenly fill each cupcake liner about 2/3 full (about 3 tbsp). Tap on counter before placing in oven.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Using the paddle attachment on your stand mixer, cream the butter until light in colour (approx. 7-8 minutes).
- Reduce speed to low and add the powdered sugar, a little at a time. Increase the speed to high and blend for approx. 10 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla, champagne and raspberries and continue to mix on medium-high speed. The raspberries will start breaking apart and create a beautiful colour. Continue until everything is well incorporated and smooth.
- Use your favourite frosting tip to decorate the cupcakes and add a raspberry garnish if desired.
Subscribe to Teta Lizza’s Kitchen to get new recipes delivered straight to your inbox! Be sure to follow along on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for more updates. I appreciate you so much!