Tortellini Minestrone Soup is the perfect dinner solution for the January blues. It’s brimming with hearty vegetables and the addition of tortellini takes it from plain ol’ soup to something soup-er! Yep…I went there. Just a bit of chopping and about 30 minutes is all you need to get this on your dinner table tonight!
January can be a funny month can’t it? On one hand it’s a fresh start, the beginning of a brand new year. Many of us are still feeling the holiday buzz with a few more visits and parties to attend. Yet after a few weeks things start shifting don’t they? Some of those resolutions may have lost their drive and the weather can be downright dreary. It’s a funny time when we’re all just trying to find our groove again.
One of the things I do love about this time of year is how everything just suddenly calms down. You step into the grocery store and there are no line-ups, no cart-pushing, and people actually say “hello” – there’s a bit more connection. Aside from the usual “lose 10lbs”, “get back to the gym”, I think many of us this year made a resolution to connect more. We are social creatures afterall. Did you know that eating with others actually makes us digest our food better?
Which brings me back to…this mid-January “float” is actually a perfect time to make some meaningful connections and around the dinner table is a great place to start. Simple and hearty meals are what we’re all craving this time of year and a warm bowl of this comforting Tortellini Minestrone Soup will surely make it easy to bring the family together. It has so many delicious ingredients that no two bites are the same!
This soup recipe is also a great way to clear out the fridge of some possibly sad looking produce that may have been neglected…ah-hem…. You know EXACTLY the stalk of celery and bag of carrots I’m talking about!
enjoy | liz | xo
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced
- 4 medium carrots, sliced thin
- 3 celery stalks, sliced thin
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 6 cups low-sodium broth (vegetable or chicken)
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 pkg. (9 oz.) refrigerated tortellini pasta
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped (optional)
- In a large stock pot or french oven, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, carrots, celery, garlic, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Allow vegetables to cook and soften, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add in the broth, diced tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, add in the kidney beans and tortellini and allow to simmer for 8-9 minutes until pasta is tender.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with parsley (optional).
Subscribe to Teta Lizza’s Kitchen to get new recipes delivered straight to your inbox! Be sure to follow along on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for more updates. I appreciate you so much!