For one reason or another, you need this Chickpea and Vegetable Soup in your life.
Happy New Year! How are those resolutions going? No pressure. It’s a whole new year with lots of days and chances to be the best we can be. If you’re like me, the holidays were…a bit indulgent. All the lunches, potlucks, parties, dinners, cocktails, baking, cookie swaps and a few on-the-go grabs amid the hustle and bustle. I loved it, I mean every-single-delicious-moment – but now I need to balance things out with some healthy.
If the holidays weren’t a calorie-fest for you, then you may have run yourself down to the point of being beaten by the cold or flu. All the more reason to load up on some immunity boosting ingredients and give your body the tools to fight back and get back on your feet. This Chickpea and Vegetable Soup will do all sorts of good – not to mention use up the veggies you’ve got stored in the fridge!
It’s no surprise that the vegetables are the key superpower in this recipe but the chickpeas are what will have you going back for seconds. High in fibre and protein, chickpeas are a guilt-free way to fill up. The puree thickens up this medley of vegetables resulting in a creamy texture that is super comforting on a winter day or when you’re feeling down and out. You’ll also love that it can be made in one pot because don’t we all need a break from the kitchen clean up?
So how were your holidays? I truly love Christmas and the holiday season. It’s another excuse to spend more time in the kitchen making sweets to share and putting that extra bit of love and effort for those special gatherings and occasions. I hope you were lucky to spend them with friends and loved ones and that you each felt a little spoiled with a gift or two, from someone special or yourself (wink…why not right?) I received this beautiful personalized cutting board (above) and it definitely filled my heart with a ton of joy. Teta Lizza’s Kitchen has been a labour of love for the past seven months and I am definitely looking forward to continuing to grow and share this little world I’ve created.
If you try this Chickpea and Vegetable Soup for yourself, I would love it if you left a comment below. You can also share your pictures with me on Instagram (@teta_lizza). Be sure to add the hashtag #teta_lizza so I don’t miss them!
enjoy | liz | xo
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cans (540ml each) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 garlic cloves, raw
- 1 tsp dried dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 4 cups water
- 1 lemon, halved and juiced, seeds removed
- sea salt and pepper
- In a large soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions, carrots, parsnips, celery and garlic and sauté for 15-20 minutes until tender.
- Add the stock, water, herbs and chickpeas. Turn heat to medium-high, bring to a boil and then let simmer for 10 minutes on low. Remove from heat.
- Using an immersion blender, puree soup to desired consistency. Finish with lemon juice and salt and pepper as needed. Serve warm.