Incredibly tasty and delicious, this Creamy Almond Butternut Squash Soup is filled with warm spices and has a velvety smooth creaminess thanks to a special ingredient – almond butter!
I love to spend a Sunday cooking a big pot of soup on the stove or slow-cooker. There’s the pleasant aroma that fills the house and something so satisfying to sit down and enjoy. A warm bowl of soup evokes so many childhood memories when a big pot of mom’s homemade soup would be placed on the table as part of the family meal. I’m sure a lot had to do with the time spent together around the table, the other part being how delicious it always was!
Happiness is…a warm bowl of
Butternut squash was not something I grew up with (dad had and still has a thing against squash) but since discovering it, is something I cannot live without! If you’ve been following my blog, my love for butternut squash pops up quite often as I use it in soups, as a substitute for potato or in a vegetable medley of some sort. I have yet to bake with it though – more to come on that possibly…or not!
To achieve a rich and delicious soup, you’ve probably used cream to give it that smooth and elegant finish. Here though, the addition of almond butter, yes almond butter, does the same trick while adding an incredible new depth of flavor to the soup. With this simple and healthy swap, you’ve boosted the nutritional content and have something that’s perfect for a vegetarian OR vegan friendly menu! WIN ALL AROUND!
Give this Creamy Almond Butternut Squash Soup a try. I swear you’ll go absolutely NUTS for it!
Looking for more soup ideas? Experience tea in a whole new way in my Chai Infused Butternut Squash Soup. Boost your immune system with this cold-busting Chickpea and Vegetable Soup, or try my all-time favourite (and so simple) Carrot Soup. The perfect pairing for them all? This White Cheddar and Thyme Beer Bread!
enjoy | liz | xo
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 large butternut squash (about 2 pounds), cut in half with seeds removed
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 5 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a rectangular oven-safe dish, place the butternut squash halves, onion, and garlic clove. Drizzle with 1 tbsp of olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast until butternut squash is fork tender, approx. 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. When cool enough to touch, scoop squash out from skin. Set aside.
- In large stockpot over medium-high heat, warm the remaining olive oil and add the roasted vegetables. Cook for about 5 minutes. Add the almond butter and stir to coat.
- Add the broth, ginger, cumin, coriander, curry powder, turmeric and stir to combine. Bring the soup to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover the pot, and cook the soup until all vegetables are softened, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Purée the soup using an immersion blender, or blender in small batches, until smooth.
- Add the coconut milk (if desired) and stir through, heating for 15 minutes. Serve immediately.