Sigh…alfredo sauce. Is there no greater comfort food? If you’re like me, you’ve probably sworn off this rich and creamy, oh-so-yummy pasta dish. I remember back in university making the dish for dinner and ordering it at restaurants. Oh to be young and carefree again! But some things once seen, cannot be unseen – that is the case with the caloric count in all that butter and cream. Y-O-W-S-A-S!
Fortunately, my recipe for SKINNY ALFREDO WITH MUSHROOMS AND PEAS is a fabulous + lighter + tasty option for any day you’re craving some serious comfort food without all the guilt.
I should note that my metabolic rate and care for nutritional info has also come a long way from my university days…one for the worse, one for the better! OUCH. The truth hurts….
Life IS short but I’d rather save those calories for dessert!
You’ll love how simple my Skinny Alfredo with Mushrooms and Peas is to put together. The dreaded/joyous back-to-school season is upon us and this makes a fantastic meal for any weeknight with just a few ingredients you probably have in your pantry and fridge. While the ingredients have been changed up, this lightened up version of the famous white sauce lacks nothing in creamy comfort. In addition, the bright green peas and flavorful mushrooms add some eye-pleasing contrast and an extra serving of veggies. But peas…we’re talking comfort food here, let’s not get crazy.
More reasons to love this Skinny Alfredo with Mushrooms and Peas recipe –
– great #MeatlessMonday option
– quick and easy
– customizable – add diced chicken breast for a boost of protein!
– comforting and delicious
– homemade (better than those packaged options)
– lightened up version of a classic
While this recipe may call to mind a fettuccine noodle, I do like shorter noodles like fusilli to scoop up the bits of garlic, Parmesan cheese and sauce. But however and for whatever reason, I hope you try my Skinny Alfredo with Mushrooms and Peas recipe!
enjoy | liz | xo
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 8-10 brown mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 cups low-fat milk
- 1 package of your favourite pasta
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
- parsley (optional)
- In a small fry pan, heat olive oil on medium-high heat then add the garlic and sliced mushrooms. Once cooked, set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add the flour and whisk until a smooth paste forms. Add the milk and stir. When the sauce reaches a boil, reduce heat to low for about 10 minutes, whisking until desired consistency is reached. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- In a separate pot, cook pasta according to pasta directions. Halfway through cooking, add frozen peas and finish cooking. Drain and return pasta and pea mixture to pot.
- To the pot, add in the mushrooms and white sauce and mix to combine. Add salt and pepper to season. Top with Parmesan cheese and parsley before serving.
- TIP: Be sure to generously salt the water before adding the pasta. This is your one opportunity to kick up the flavor in the actual pasta itself.