If you hadn’t guessed, the not-so-secret ingredient in these BAKED POTATO CHIP CHICKEN BITES is – potato chips! These were a huge hit in my house – perfect for dinner any night of the week, or served up as a snack for game day. The great crunch and flavor you’d usually only get with fried chicken is achieved thanks to this genius coating.
We all know potato chips are not the healthiest food in the world but who of us doesn’t love them? The tiny slices of potato, baked or deep fried are popular everywhere. Not to mention – the flavors are only limited to your imagination! The same goes for this recipe! While I stuck with the classic regular flavor, I’m tempted to experiment with some of the unique flavors that now exist. Maple Moose? Irish Stew? Or Honey Soy Chicken anyone? These are legit flavors out there I swear.
In the recipe for this potato chip chicken you’ll see that one of my favourite ingredients appears again – buttermilk. The combination of acids, enzymes and calcium in this wonder ingredient is known for making meats and poultry more tender and juicy if soaked in buttermilk before cooking. Originally, buttermilk was the low-fat by-product of churned butter which is why you sometimes see stray flecks of butter floating on top. Today, practically all buttermilk is made from pasteurized and cultured skimmed or low-fat milk. Any yellow flecks are added during processing. Interesting stuff no?!?
This was another recipe enjoyed up at the cottage and was so much fun to make. Not to mention, a lot less guilt than eating the bag alone! These potato chip chicken bites were awesome alone or dunked into barbecue sauce or honey dijon mustard.
So grab a carton of buttermilk and a bag of your favourite potato chip flavor and give this potato chip chicken a try. They are easy to make and can be gluten-free and grain-free depending on the chip brand you buy. Have fun and let me know what interesting flavors you try!
enjoy | liz | xo
- 1-1/2 lbs chicken breast, cut into strips or nuggets
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 1 bag (3-4 cups) or any flavor of potato chip (I used Old Dutch Lightly Salted Rip-L)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, garlic and spices. Add in the chicken and toss to coat. Cover and marinate for at least 30 minutes in the fridge. Drain well.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a cooling wrack with non-stick spray and place on a baking sheet.
- Dredge the drained chicken in the crushed potato chips and press down so the crumbs stick. Carefully place onto prepared baking sheet. Repeat until all chicken is coated.
- Place in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden, crisp and cooked through. Turn pieces over halfway through cooking process.
- Serve warm with your favourite dipping sauce.