Indulge in a skinny take on a classic flavor combo – chocolate and banana! Just a few simple swaps make these simply delicious ZUCCHINI BANANA CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS low-fat and healthy!
Anyone else exhausted after this weekend? It’s been soooo freakin’ hot here in Toronto I’m pretty sure brain cells are melting every time I step outdoors. It’s just too much summer. Kindly take it down a few degrees. Keep giving us those sunny and warm days but let’s stay below lava temps and keep humidity (and my hair) in check.
My respect meter went up a few notches this weekend for the all-star moms and dads out there who parent every.single.day. How do you do it? I had my oldest niece over on Saturday for a SLEEPOVER (WOOT!) and we had loads of fun. We saw a movie, went to a paint your own ceramics studio, played Monopoly, baked, went for a walk, hit up the local froyo place…but I’m wiped! I’m just not used to going at the energy level of a 10-year old I guess, or I felt the “gotta be the cool aunt” pressure.
I adore spending time with my niece. We have loads in common despite the 20-odd year age difference. Right now it’s all good but in no time she’ll realize this and never want to be seen in any public place with me where her friends might be. I have this vision that we’ll be hitting up the dance clubs together…with my walker!
We both have the creative gene and could spend hours doing crafts, painting, or experimenting in the kitchen. You of course know how much I love to bake and I try to make sure we bake something every time she’s over. Call it a tradition, call it my super sneaky way of justifying a sweet indulgence (wink). Insert whatever works!
At the same time, I do recognize the 20-odd year difference and my role to be a positive influence in her life. Having fun is always the #1 priority but if I can impart a few tidbits of wisdom here and there, my heart swells. So the challenge was to bake something delicious but use good-for-us ingredients and real food, not over-processed substitutes that barely resemble what they’re supposed to fill in for. Enter – ZUCCHINI BANANA CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS! Amazingly, there is no sugar in these stud muffins with all the sweetness coming from the bananas and honey. Make them.
When I set out all the ingredients – especially the zucchini – my niece had no idea what we were making. When I revealed that we were making these Zucchini Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins there was no look of horror or disgust to my surprise! She shared that they recently made zucchini cookies at camp – how wonderful! Here I was thinking I was going to be fighting an uphill battle to sell these zucchini-filled baked goodies but she was not only open but excited to try them!
A happy ending all around. These Zucchini Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins were outstanding. They are bursting with flavor and incredibly moist. And on another note…I was reminded that kids get it. If you make food fun, delicious and involve them in the process, they in turn will better understand food, be more likely to try new things and if all goes really well…eat their veggies.
As for me…time for a nap!
enjoy | liz | xo
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 small to medium ripe bananas
- 2 tsp melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cup shredded zucchini (about 2 medium zucchini)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2/3 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt (I used Oikos)
- 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line two 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners and generously spray inside of liners with non-stick cooking spray.
- Use a paper towel to remove excess moisture from the shredded zucchini.
- In medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mash the banana, then to it add mashed banana, oil, honey, vanilla and eggs; mix until smooth. Add in zucchini, applesauce, and yogurt and stir until well combined. Slowly add in dry ingredients and stir until just combined. DO NOT OVER MIX. Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Evenly divide batter into muffin cups.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.