If you love lemon pie or lemon bars, you’re going to love this tropical spin on a classic – MANGO LEMON SHORTBREAD BARS! The sweet and creamy mango flavor on top of a to-die-for shortbread crust is summer dessert perfection.
You probably know by now that I am a serious chocoholic. 11 times out of 10 my dessert selection involves chocolate in some way, shape or form. I assure you, nothing has changed.
This unbearable summer heat wave we’re having right now though (let me tell you how I really feel) had me craving something light, punchy and sweet. Lemons are a staple in my kitchen. Whether it’s freshly grated zest for a cake or spritzed over fresh-cooked chicken, I always have 3-4 hanging around on-the-ready. I also had 1/2 a Costco-sized bag of frozen mango chunks from when “someone” was on a smoothie kick that is no longer actively kicking…moving on…
The combination of lemon and mango is divine. Lemon lovers still get the tart and tangy pucker, while the mango adds a creamy and rich texture that will blow your mind. Could anything scream summer any louder than the bright and beautiful yellow-gold colour of this dessert? The base of this dessert is a thick and unashamed shortbread crust. This is no sissy crust my friends. The crust is perfectly proportioned to support the lemony-mango goodness up top without going soggy on you. Like a good friend…this crust has your back.
Now it’s time for me to pour another cup of coffee, enjoy the air conditioning indoors and watch the RHONY ladies hit up Miami in a way only they can. Oh…and I might have another slice of these Mango Lemon Shortbread Bars. 😉
enjoy | liz | xo
- 1-3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1-1/2 sticks of cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups of fresh or frozen chopped mango
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1-2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup flour
- mango puree (as prepared above)
- Add chopped mango, water and sugar into a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over low-medium heat and then simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, let cool for 15-20 minutes. Transfer to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9 x 13-inch rectangular baking dish.
- Stir together the flour and powdered sugar in a medium bowl. Using a pastry blender or two forks, cut in cold butter until the mixture is course and roughly the size of peas.
- Press the mixture into the bottom of the baking pan. Bake for 11-13 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned. Let cool.
- In a medium bowl, add the eggs and sugar and whisk until smooth. Stir in lemon juice and mango puree stirring until combined. Gently add in in the 1/2 cup of flour and stir through. Pour filling over prepared crust.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until set. (If gently rocked, it should not wobble). Set out to cool and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight before serving. Dust with powdered sugar if desired.