GUNG HEY FAT CHOY!!! Or in English – Happy Chinese New Year! Wishing you happiness and prosperity all year long! To celebrate the Year of the Monkey, I made these Banana Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting! How do you like them apples….er, bananas!!!
There is a ridiculous amount of bananas in these cupcakes which worked out great because I had an equally ridiculous amount of bananas in my freezer. No surprise, all that translates to is a cupcake that’s BIG, I mean HUGE on banana flavor. The cakes themselves are moist and delicious like a classic banana loaf. A perfect compliment to the sweet and tangy cream cheese frosting!
I used my recipe for the frosting from my Oreo Overload Cupcakes with a few tweaks. I really love the balance of this frosting as it’s not all cream cheese which in my opinion can be too sweet when piled high on a cupcake.
Do you have keep a stash of bananas in your freezer for spur of the moment baking adventures? I don’t often but I seemed to have collected a few too many after making these muffins oh and also these muffins and yikes, these cookies! If my sister is reading this, I’m just gonna say – I’ve seen the bananas in your freezer sistah…time to put them to use!
The pièce de résistance? The decorative banana chip on top of course! I hope you and your monkeys go bananas for these!
enjoy | liz | xo
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 3 cups mashed bananas (about 7-8 ripe bananas)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- banana chips, for garnish (optional)
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 2-1/2 standard 12-cup muffin pans with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugars, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine the melted butter, mashed bananas, eggs, and vanilla.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir until just combined and no dry spots remain (do not overmix).
- Dividing evenly, spoon batter into muffin cups. *I use a 3-tbsp (45ml) single scoop.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of a cupcake comes out clean, . Remove cupcakes from oven, let sit for 10 minutes and then remove to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Using a stand mixer, cream together butter and cream cheese.
- Add vanilla and lemon juice, then add powdered sugar - slowly - until blended well.
- Beat icing for 8-10 minutes on medium-high speed.
- Once cooled, pipe with cream cheese frosting and finish with a banana chip on top of each cupcake, if desired.