Move over sliced bread.
I am convinced that puff pastry is one of the greatest inventions of all time.
Easy to thaw. Simple to work with. Readily available. Puff pastry is a wonder in the kitchen. It can be used to create an appetizer, a meal, dessert, or anything in between.
This Vegetable and Hummus Puff Pastry Pizza recipe was a solution for lunch one day and then a quick fix for dinner the next. I will be the first to admit it’s not really pizza as we commonly know pizza…it’s the hummus right? Ok I know…but more in the way that you can customize and make it your own with any toppings, like mine. That gives me carte blanche to use pizza in the name right?
Can we go back to hummus as a topping though? It’s not tomato sauce but it’s not supposed to be tomato sauce. Get it? It’s different, it’s new, it’s fresh, it’s exciting! It’s something you gotta try. If pizza chains start offering it as a sauce topping, it started here folks. I have no idea actually…is it a thing already? Am I the last one to the hummus-as-a-topping party?
This is definitely a fun dish to try as an appetizer or enjoy as a meal. It’s also a great way to use up the last bit of leftovers or vegetables in the crisper. If you keep about an inch border all the way around the pastry, you’ll get that nice puffed, golden crust that you see in the photos. I used up some roasted peppers, shallots, shredded carrot, grape tomatoes, eggplant and that I had loitering in the fridge. The possibilities are for sure endless.
I bet you have a sleeve of puff pastry in your freezer just waiting to be used. If not, pick some up next time you’re out and it will be a lifesaver next time you’re entertaining or want to whip up something quick. Remember these Baked Apple Roses from the fall? My family still raves about them. What are some of your favourite things to make with puff pastry?
enjoy | liz | xo
- one sheet (approx. 12"x12") of puff pastry dough, thawed and unrolled, left on parchment paper
- 3-4 tbsp hummus
- variety of vegetables topping cut to roughly the same size
- (roasted peppers, shallots, shredded carrot, eggplant, goat cheese and parsley)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil for drizzling
- Preheat over to 350F.
- Place parchment-lined dough on a cookie sheet.
- Evenly spread a generous layer of hummus over the entire sheet of puff pastry keeping it about one-inch away from the edge, free of toppings. This will allow the crust to puff up and rise.
- Sprinkle your ingredients evenly over the crust as desired. Avoid making the dough too heavy with ingredients or it may turn soggy.
- Drizzle lightly with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place in oven for approx. 25 minutes or until edges are golden.
- Remove, slice as desired and serve.
If you try this recipe for yourself, I would love it if you left a comment below. You can also share your pictures with me on Instagram (@teta_lizza). Be sure to add the hashtag #teta_lizza so I don’t miss them!