There’s something special about a proper breakfast isn’t there? You can’t help but feel a bit…fancy.
Especially when it’s this easy to make! This Egg and Zucchini Breakfast Bake is a step above scrambled eggs and toast but it’s not something you’re going to spend hours on, or have to worry about following a bunch of steps. Just a few simple and fresh ingredients and after some time in the oven, you have a beautiful dish to serve up.
Let’s face it, during the week, breakfast can get a bit boring, routine, delivered through a drive-thru window, or even worse, non-existent. I always look forward to the weekend when I can s-l-o-w d-o-w-n and take the time to not only create but e-n-j-o-y breakfast. This recipe can even be prepared the night before to give you a few extra moments in the morning to enjoy a second (or third) cup of coffee. The notion is heavenly isn’t it!?!
What’s great about this dish is that you can sneak some extra vegetables in and they’re almost forgotten (for those veggie-detesting-folks) thanks to the feta, Parmesan cheese and turkey bacon. Because the zucchini is grated, it just sorta blends in with all the other ingredients. Kinda the way carrots do in carrot cake…mmm…carrot cake.
This Egg and Zucchini Breakfast Bake would be a great dish for a group. I love the idea of celebrating a birthday or other event (ie. Mother’s Day) over breakfast or brunch. It’s such a lovely way to start the day, provided that your plans the night before weren’t too wild! But then, there’s always coffeeeeeeeeeeee to the rescue. Or, mimosas so that the party continues! CHEERS!
enjoy | liz | xo
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 4 slices of turkey bacon, chopped into thin strips
- 2 small zucchinis, grated (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- salt and black pepper
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a non-stick frying pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic and bacon and cook for 5 minutes or bacon is cooked. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl add onion mixture with the zucchini, feta, parmesan cheese, chives, salt and pepper. Gently toss to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and flour. Stir in the zucchini mix.
- Pour into a lightly greased 8-inch square glass or ceramic dish.
- Place in oven and bake for 40–45 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Cut into slices to serve.