Just four more sleeps!
Can you believe Christmas is this week?!? Even more hard to believe, it was November 30th when I last made a post! (A thousand apologies) I honestly don’t know where the last three weeks have gone. I had a plan, I was organized, I was all set…and then I lost my head in the holiday games.
I know it’s a crazy time of year but I hope you’re all keeping your cool and enjoying the season to the fullest. One of the nice traditions I look forward to is a cookie swap with a small circle of family and friends. This year, I made these Hazelnut Espresso Cookies in Chocolate. They were “okay”…and by “okay” I mean they won “Best Cookie for 2015” at our swap! Thank you, thank you, please stop, no go on! 😉
Chocolate + Coffee? Pretty much my favourite combination on earth. We’ve been down this path before. Remember the Cappuccino Crinkle Cookies from October? It’s a combination that you just can’t go wrong with. Assuming you like chocolate…and coffee…in cookie form, and who doesn’t right?
I made these cookies on a Saturday morning and the aroma alone had me buzzing all day. One bite and you’re smacked with a delicious combo of flavors. The ground hazelnuts with their nutty toasted crunch, the jolt of espresso, the slight contrast of salt, and the rich, smooth blanket of chocolate. Each time I make them I am impressed all over again.
If you’re looking to whip up a batch of something different, these Hazelnut Espresso Cookies are a beautiful addition to your holiday plate. How are you making out with your list of gifts and to-do’s? I’ve got a few more checkmarks to go but I have no doubt, that just like every year before, it’ll all come together in time. Nothing a shot of espresso…or a Hazelnut Espresso Cookie…can’t fix!
enjoy | liz | xo
- 1-1/2 cups freshly ground hazelnuts
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp instant espresso powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 12 oz of semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 tsp butter
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour and salt. Set aside.
- Using a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in espresso powder and vanilla.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and combine. Stir in hazelnuts.
- Using a 1 tbsp scoop, rolls balls of dough then flatting using the bottom of a class dipped in flour. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 9-11 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and butter; stir until smooth. Dip each cookie halfway into chocolate mixture, allowing excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool place with wax paper between layers.
*Having trouble viewing the recipe? Click here to view the full site.