Stop what you’re doing.
I’ve got a chili recipe that’s going to knock your socks off. This chili recipe has so much going on your head might spin but trust me, while you may have a “say whaaat?” moment as you read the list of ingredients, the end result is still true to the classic – with some new flavors that will make this a go-to in your recipe Rolodex.
If you’ve been following along, you’ll notice that I use A LOT of ground turkey in place of ground beef in most of my recipes. Personally, I prefer the lighter flavor of ground turkey to ground beef. I also like that ground turkey is a leaner, healthier choice and for those on the fence, the difference is barely noticeable, especially in a hearty bowl of this chili.
The first time I made this chili, I was blown away by the awesome flavor the baked beans add. While I don’t have an issue with red kidney beans, I know some people do (especially kids). The white variety has a much subtler flavor and texture which I was quite surprised by and loved! Take a look in my pantry – I’m a convert to white kidney beans now! For a final touch and extra oomph, the contrasting addition of honey and lime just at the end are the perfect hit of sweetness and pucker that makes this chili recipe top-notch in my opinion…and I hope yours too!
I’ve always enjoyed chili but I l-o-v-e this chili recipe. You can make it the night before and it’s even better the next day…and the next…as the flavors have more time to steep. Pair a hot bowl with some fresh, crusty bread and a sprinkle of aged cheddar and you’ve got a perfect chili solution for a chilly day.
enjoy | liz | xo
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 lbs (900g) ground turkey
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp chipotle chili pepper (or black pepper)
- 1-796ml can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 500ml jar tomato passata (sauce)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1-540ml can white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2- 396ml cans baked beans (I used Heinz Maple Style Beans with Pure Quebec Maple Syrup)
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tbsp honey
- Grated cheddar cheese for garnish (optional)
- In a large stock pot, heat oil. Add turkey, garlic, onions, celery and peppers. Cook on medium-high heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables have softened.
- Stir in chili powder, paprika, cumin, oregano, coriander, and chipotle/black pepper. Mix until meat mixture is evenly coated and cook for another 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, and beef broth. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add beans and continue to simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in lime juice and honey. Serve. Top with grated cheddar, if desired.
Having trouble viewing the recipe? Click here to view the full site.