Am I the only one who has pints of berries begging for attention in their fridge?
Each time I head into the grocery store, there they are, right at the front of the produce section, begging to be taken home like a cute little puppy. Almost…except, I’m allergic to dogs so I’d never actually bring home a puppy.
I have the best of intentions for these berries, I do. But it’s like a checkout-activated sensor goes off and they begin spoiling the second they’re put into the shopping bag. And I soooo don’t want to be one of those people who open the container to inspect the quality of each berry. I’m so afraid of being called out by another shopper. So I stay cool and do a quick check, peaking through the underside of the package and then pluck out any already spoiled berries the second I get home. PS…I’m also allergic to cats.
Fortunately, these blackberry pie bars were the answer to my prayers. A perfect way to use up all those beautiful, rapidly ripening berries – 4 cups to be exact! What’s great is that these bars came together so quickly – EASIER than pie! Because I have another confession…
I don’t love traditional fruit pies. Gimme lemon meringue, banana cream, pumpkin, chocolate silk, or pecan pie – I’m a fan of any of those but somehow the gloopiness of an apple or other fruit pie just doesn’t do it for me.
What made these blackberry pie bars great was no gloopiness! The densely packed bottom held up great to the mountain of blackberries and the crumbly top soaked up all those berry juices. I was all over this crumbly topping. When sprinkled, the topping tucks itself into every nook and cranny, giving a cake-like texture to the center while maintaining a satisfying golden crust on top.
These blackberry pie bars are enjoyed best once cooled and even more so the next day…for breakfast, while standing over the kitchen sink to catch any crumbs…so I’ve heard…
enjoy | liz | xo
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Zest of one lemon
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 cup (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups fresh blackberries
- 4 tsp cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a 9x13 inch pan.
- Using a food processor, pulse together the flour, 1 cup of sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and lemon zest. Add in the butter, egg and vanilla extract. Pulse until the dough is crumbly and about the size of peas.
- Remove half the dough and spread it into the bottom of the prepared pan. Save the remaining dough for the topping.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the remaining 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Gently add in the blackberries and gently toss. Sprinkle the blackberry mixture evenly over the prepared crust. Sprinkle the remaining dough evenly over the layer of blackberries.
- Bake for approx. 45 minutes, or until top is golden.
- Cool completely. Cut into squares for serving.