In case you need a reason to open a bottle of wine tonight…
I don’t know about you but chicken is a staple in my house. I am always looking for ways to keep chicken delicious and interesting. Just when I think I’ve hit a wall, I remember this lemon chicken with white wine recipe and my friendship with chicken continues.
My mom made this dish for us many times growing up and to this day, it is still one of my favourites. With just a few simple ingredients, the dish comes together so quickly. The caramelizing of the flour in the lemon and wine creates this crust that just tickles your taste buds and will have you going back for one more piece.
I’ve found that a dry or semi-dry wine works best but it really doesn’t matter all that much. Whatever you happen to have leftover in the fridge will do. For those “what is leftover wine?” people, here’s a reason to uncork a new bottle!
Lemon chicken with white wine sauce is just one recipe that will always remind me of “home-home”. I swear I must’ve asked for this dish a hundred and one times growing up and my mom always delivered without complaint. I guess she was just happy to have someone answer the “what’s for dinner?” question but I know the other side was a whole lotta love for us too.
Kudos to all you moms and dads out there who, no matter what kind of day you’ve had, make sure there’s a good home-cooked meal on the table. Picky eaters and bad reviews can make it hard some days but you’re doing great and one day, they’ll thank you. [Thanks Mom]
Served along a fresh green salad or some rice, I hope this becomes a favourite in your home too.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thinly-sliced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup white wine, semi-dry or dry
- 1/2 lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- Parsley, roughly chopped, for garnish
- Place flour in dredging pan or plate and coat both sides of chicken.
- Heat oil in non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add the chicken and cook 2-3 minutes per side. Remove and set aside. Repeat if necessary for all chicken.
- Pour wine and lemon juice into pan. Cook over high heat until liquid reduces to approx. 1/4 cup.
- Lightly season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Add chicken back to skillet and spoon sauce over chicken to coat.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
- No white wine? Substitute chicken broth or dry, white Vermouth.