You will soon learn about me that I cannot leave a chocolate chip cookie alone. Again, I apologize to all the chocolate chip cookie purists out there – there will always be something I want to add. Still with me?
Today I spent a fun-filled afternoon with my niece and nephew and to up the “we love teta” factor, I made cookies. These cookies were made the night before and can I tell you, they tasted like they were straight out of the oven a whole day later. So so so soft and chewy. If you hold them too long in your hand, they just might break. (The chances of being in your hand too long are zero fyi.)
Peanut butter, banana and chocolate? Did someone just call my last bingo number? I can’t think of many other combinations that are better than these three amigos. They will make you smile all over, especially when you see the faces of the little (and big) monkeys devouring them, faces covered in chocolate.
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 tbsp (1 stick) of unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 6 tbsp of peanut butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup loosely packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ripe medium bananas, mashed
- 1 1/4 cups mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flours, salt and baking soda, set aside.
- In a larger bowl, whisk together cooled peanut butter and butter with both sugars until combined.
- Whisk in egg yolk and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Add in the mashed banana and mix until combined. (Your mixture will be a bit lumpy.)
- Gradually add in the dry ingredients, mixing with a wooden spoon until a dough forms. (Do not over mix.) Gently fold in chocolate chips.
- Drop balls of dough (approx. 2 tbsp in size) onto a non-stick baking sheet about 2-inches apart.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, until the edges are golden and the middles are puffy – do not over bake!
- Let cool completely before storing in a container.
- These cookies will stay VERY soft because of the banana.