For a recent birthday celebration, I was looking for a niece-and-nephew-pleasing-dessert that was high on WOW factor. I think I exceeded even my own expectations with this recipe. Who doesn’t love an Oreo cookie? Those crunchy, chocolate outer cookies hugging a sweet, sugary and soft filling…next level — these Oreo Overload Cupcakes.
Be warned, this is no “vanilla-cake-with-a-sprinkle-of-Oreo” cupcake…oh no my friend, this is a chocolate cupcake with Oreo crumble IN the batter, this is loads of Oreo in a perfectly balanced cream cheese frosting, and did I mention, there’s a WHOLE Oreo cookie at the bottom of the cupcake. My mind exploded a little bit too the first time I read that…
Surprisingly, the cookie bottom stays nice and firm. The cupcake has a little weight to it because of the cookie but your family and friends will be pleasantly surprised when they make the discovery…and reach for another.
The kids absolutely loved these and had a fun time deconstructing the layers …cookie ….frosting …cupcake. There were thank-you’s all around, especially from the parents when they left in an Oreo Overload Cupcake coma…wink.
- 1 500g package original Oreo Cookies, regular size
- 1 226g package Mini Bite Size Oreo Cookies (for decoration)
- 1 box Betty Crocker Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix (+ ingredients on box)
- 1 tbsp espresso powder (optional)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- cupcake liners
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line two muffin/cupcake tins with liner. Place a regular size Oreo cookie in the bottom of each liner.
- Take remaining (regular size) cookies and chop coarsely in food processor, set aside.
- Mix boxed cake mix according to directions, adding espresso to mix (if using). Do not bake yet.
- Take half of the coarsely chopped cookies and add to cake mix. Stir until combined.
- Fill the cupcake liners only halfway with the cake mix.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Using a stand mixer, cream together butter and cream cheese.
- Add vanilla, then add powdered sugar - slowly - until blended well. Beat icing for 8-10 minutes on medium-high speed.
- Take remaining chopped Oreo's and add to frosting.
- Once cupcakes have cooled, frost and decorate with one mini Oreo on top of each cupcake.
- You may find that filling the cupcake liners only halfway leaves you with leftover batter and may need to prepare another 4-6 cupcakes...how terrible!